Zion’s Radio Ministry first aired the morning of Sunday, October 28, 1962. Wilber Wright (father of Janis Reed and Warren Wright) began the ministry and Pastor Kampfe recruited Charles Kaelin as a second announcer. Walter Follmer provided airtime on AM 1560 WCNW and FM 94.6 WFOL.
Throughout the years, numerous announcers have assisted with the broadcast. These include John Bowser, Michelle Bowser, Mark Christian, Connie Sengar, Beth Allen, Mike Green, Doug Erbeck, Katie Hilbert, Greg Conrad, and Jamie Landers. The current announcing team is composed of Ron Alcorn, Lou Robinson, Adam Reed, and Charles Kaelin. Kevin Heitz is our sound manager.
In the beginning , Zion’s primitive equipment was housed in the small room at the front of the sanctuary. During the complete remodeling of the sanctuary in 1968 for Zion’s 125th Annjversary, the Women of Zion underwrote a new radio booth that was constructed in the balcony. By the 1990′s, the radio booth was cramped with new, more advanced equipment. The booth was tripled in size with an eps Zion to the north wall of the Sanctuary in 2001; this allowed for the installation of a 25 channel mixer. In the last several years, new speakers and upgraded microphone wiring have also enhanced the quality of Zion’s radio broadcasts, as well as in house sound. In 2009, a new updated channel mixer was purchased and our connections with the radio are stronger.
Over the past 50 years, Zion’s Radio Ministry has produced more than 2,645 broadcasts including weekly broadcasts and the airing of the late Christmas Eve Candlelight Service. Today, our Radio Ministry airs on AM 1400 WMOH, bringing our message not only to Hamilton, but to Butler County and the surrounding Greater Cincinnati area. We can now also be heard live online as we are streamed across WMOH’s website.